Mental health issues are personal struggle for myself - anxiety, dysphoria, depression. The list goes on and at times I sadly thought there was no way out, but I proved myself wrong.
How did I do this?
Along with attending different medical paths such as CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy), I followed these 5 main steps:
- Think Positively – One major thing CBT helped me to realise that mental health was in my head therefore it was ME who was in control of it.
- Stay Active – My anxiety meant I stayed indoors feeling sorry for myself but all this did was feed the monster. By keeping yourself active it helps to not only distract you from the issue but also face it.
- Talk to others – No matter what you’re going through there’s always someone who will listen, friends, family or even your GP – there is someone.
- Focus on the Future – Setting goals helps to give you motivation on life. Some days I didn’t even see a future for myself, but by making plans this spurred me onward.
- Chill Out – Asides from keeping busy make sure to have time to relax!
Harry Matthews is a Transman living in Dublin. He is a recent marketing graduate and keen YouTuber.